Monday, February 2, 2009

Around the World in 33 Days

A while back I read Jules Verne's classic, Around the World In 80 days. I loved the idea of traveling to a variety of places, meeting numerous people in a multitude of contexts, and literally circumnavigate the globe. In 2006 I began a journey that ended 11 months later traveling from West to East. On February 18 I will depart again, returning 33 days later, this time going East to West.

Although traveling excites me, it is not my motivation.

My purpose in West Africa is to encourage the nationals running the ministry at the King's Arms Academy. My departure from Liberia nearly one year ago was with uncertainty and confusion. Since I have left, I have received word that my Liberian brothers and sisters have assumed all of the responsibilities to running a school and are doing a terrific job of it. I am proud of them. They need to hear that from me in person.

My purpose in Southeast Asia is more visionary in nature. From my desire to work among children and encourage educators in a variety of Southeast Asian contexts, it would most economical to be based in a central Southeast Asian location. From this side of the planet, Singapore and Chiang Mai have looked like excellent choices. However, since I have not been to either of these places, a trip to check things out, establish connections, and learn first hand is in line.

In 33 days, here's the itinerary:

February 18: Travel Day: Minneapolis, Chicago, London

February 19-21: United Kingdom

February 22: Travel Day: London, Casablanca, Monrovia

February 23-March 8: Liberia

March 9-10: Travel Days: Monrovia, Casablanca, London, Singapore

March 11-16: Singapore

March 17-21: Chiang Mai, Thailand

March 22: Travel Day: Singapore, Chicago, Minneapolis

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Praying for your trip. You know, I think there are still LOTS of openings in Argentina should nothing pan out ;)

Kruger Kids said...

Jon~ you are in my prayers!! I was talking with my husband about missionaries we know (because his Sparks class at AWANA- at our church) was talking about them. I was excited to add you to those I know serving around the world! I will check your blog often and lift your journeys up to the Lord!!
janine (wuollett) kruger