Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Circumnavigate Log #4

March 6, 2009

Five thousand miles can seem like inches. Yesterday, March 5, 2009, a group of Liberian children gathered around a cell phone to answer questions posed by 4th graders from Calvin Christian School on the other side of the ocean.

Two weeks can seem like minutes. I’ve been back here in Liberia for almost two weeks yet it feels like I just arrived. What was a full suitcase of gifts and letters for Liberian children now is filling with pictures and letters to kids in the States. My time has been spent hanging out with the kids, doing small service jobs, receiving the container, leading an LIB Excellent Bible Study, and encouraging everyone with how they have been used by God to make Liberia into a better place.

Frustrating challenges can seem endearing. What bothered me about living here two years ago: the bucket baths, the lack of electricity, the intense heat, the abrasive culture; have become enjoyable adventures.

A slimy bug can taste like a special desert. One afternoon a few of the boys brought me a Liberian Delicacy. “You can tell how old it is by how many lines are on its back” Nanetoe proceeded to explain. Nine brown dashes segmented the white pulsating abdomen of the Termite queen. Fried with a little butter, it tasted like a buttery egg Quiche.

An amateur school startup can look like a sophisticated operation. The King’s Arms Academy has a terrific administrative team that transformed its third year from a Western-run missionary school to a Liberian-run, effective, Christian school.

A nerdy first grader can transform into an inspired young adult. I wrote an earlier blog entry about Nathan’s vision of heaven. He dreamt that he met Jesus and 1000 people that had come to Christ because of his witness. On February 27, I asked Nathan, “Do you remember the dream that you had before I left?”

“Yes, and I’ve started doing it,” he replied.

“Oh? Tell me.”

Nathan chuckled.

“How have you started doing it?” I repeated.

“When it is time to pray and no one is praying, I tell them to pray. I remind them to pray.”

“Tell me more.”

“Soon, I will go into the bush and tell them to repent and confess their sins to Jesus to be saved.”

Life on this earth can taste a little bit like heaven.

1 comment:

Sonshine4u said...

Okay, that queen termite is nothing short of...ewwwwwwwww! You are brave for sure.