Saturday, April 11, 2009

An Inspiring Message

"Obstacles have become challenges to overcome and stumbling blocks have become steppingstones," Liberia's President, Ellen Johnson Sirleaf proclaimed at the University of Minnesota's Northrop Auditorium Friday.

The first President I have ever seen in person, Madam Sirleaf inspired the entire crowd of 5,000 People. Whitney and Sarah and I stood in the rush line hoping to get tickets to the sold out presentation. Thankfully, a few tickets found their way into our hands.

What inspired me the most was the list of improvements Sirleaf oversaw through her Presidency since 2006. Many politicians can tell you about the positive change their leadership has caused, but in the case of President Sirleaf, I've seen it.

I was in Liberia in 2006 and saw the state of the war-torn country. Bullet holes polka dotted each streetlight skeleton, potholes dimpled every road, and the people were hard-faced, abrasive, and gave you reason to fear a trip into town.

Now things are different. I was just there one month ago. Though pockets of local crime still exist, the people are filled with hope. Functioning streetlights now line the smooth roads in Monrovia and the people are looking to the future with a smiles on their faces. Liberia has been transformed.

I believe Madam Sirleaf has the hand of God on her, granting her favor among her people and success in policy implementation. She is an inspiration for me to persevere, never give up, and keep trusting in our Living Heavenly Father.

No comments: