Saturday, April 25, 2009

Hurry Up and Wait!

How many times do you rush to leave the house, race on the edge of the speed limit plus five, fly into wherever it is you are headed to find yourself at the back of a slow moving line?

In the United States I am submerged in the Western Cultural Mindset of "Hurry Up and Wait." My calendar is filled, chaining me to a rigid pace with very little margin. I finish the day trading my list of unfinished tasks for the latest young adult fiction novel only to drift off before finishing one page.

Yet there is a lesson God is still teaching me in this time: patience.

Waiting on His timing.

Resting in His hands.

With Singapore as my decided (yet not officially announced to the world) destination, I have massive amounts of tasks to complete. I race to be fully funded, trained, and prepared, so that I can begin my language study and integration into Southeast Asian ministry. However, I have to remind myself that these things take time. If I just hurry through this season of life, I may find a slow moving line once I reach my destination.

Can someone say, "Hurry up and wait?"

No comments: