Tuesday, January 12, 2010

Avatar


Sunday night, my brother Jeff invited me to join some friends to see Avatar in 3D. Filled with suspense, action, emotion, and breathtaking beauty, this James Cameron production has been a big hit in the theaters. While still filled with a fair amount of violence and language, I enjoyed it for its numerous redeemable qualities.

Though his purpose is quite different, Jake Sully’s role is like a missionary to the Na’vi people of Pandora. In the avatar of a Na’vi body, Jake must understand this indigenous culture from the inside. Others had gone before him and imposed their own culture on the Na’vi. But Jake’s response was different. He wanted to learn from them. “It’s hard to fill a cup that is already full,” one of the Na’vi tell him.

Jake’s reply was, “Well, mine is empty.”

Jake has a change of heart when he learns that this “barbarian” culture has qualities that are not inferior, they are just different. He learns to love what the Na’vi love and he earns their respect.

Coming from an ethnocentric, prideful, and materialistic culture myself, I want the humility of Jake Sully as I interact with people from other cultures. I am educated, experienced, and know how to teach, but when I go I can’t rely on my strengths to accomplish God’s purposes.

John the Baptist speaks of Jesus in John 3:30. “He must become greater, I must become less.” In this way, I want to be an empty cup among the cultures I serve. If I can be empty of myself, completely dependent on Christ alone, then I have hope of sharing the good news to ears that will listen.

Official Avatar Website

The Missional Mind (Additional thoughts on Avatar)

No comments: