Saturday, April 17, 2010

The Fifth Grade Classroom

When God tells you to go, you go, even if you're living in the golden years of comfort.

I loved teaching fifth grade. When I began in 2003, I put in some crazy hours that first year, but by the time the third one rolled around, I had a rhythm. But all that changed when I left for Liberia the summer of 2006.

When God tells you to stay, you stay, even if golden horizons blossom before you.

I returned from Liberia in as winter was loosing its grip in 2008. Anxious to return to the mission field I pleaded with God to hurry up the process. Here I sit, over two years later, still preparing to go. And I'm still a half a year from my departure.

Had I rushed ahead of God, I would have missed a blessing. Right now I am privileged to be a full-time fifth grade teacher once again. It is as if God is reminding me, "I remember how you loved your job. You gave it up for Me, so I am giving it back to you for a season."

I wish you could meet my fifth graders. I get to see Christ working in 20 young lives every day. I am able to lay any feeling of anxiety into the hands of Jesus, because I see how my Faithful God cares for me. I don't deserve any of this, I only have more reasons to praise the name of Jesus.

No comments: