Monday, April 25, 2011

Water Festival Myanmar 2011



"If people are not dirty with something," a Burmese friend questioned, "What need have they to be clean?"

Water Festival, the start of the New Year in Myanmar, also coincides with the beginning of rainy season. Dumping water on each other is a symbol for washing away the sins of the previous year. "But what's the point of washing if you are already clean," my friend reasoned. "I like to go around and put soot on peoples faces first."

I find it interesting that many do not see their need for a Savior. I wonder if like my friend said, we should put some soot on our faces first. If we saw our need to be clean first, then I guess we would welcome the cleaning. If I'm not a sinner, I don't need a Savior. If I'm a sinner, then Jesus Christ is willing and able to save.

Happy Water Festival! I'm celebrating the Risen Savior, the Living Water. Because of His grace, though I am a sinner, I am clean.

No comments: