July 2014: I discovered I had a small lump on the back of my head. I had it
checked out and found it was a benign tumour… nothing to be concerned about
unless it grew larger. Well, one year later, it was slightly larger, so I
decided to make an appointment at Bumrungrad Hospital to have it removed.
|
27
November, 2015: The
day of the surgery, I arrived early and allowed myself to explore. I found my way to the
main foyer through the bustle of people moving from building to building,
loading and unloading under the golden pillar carport.
|
The
glowing green and white disk of Starbuck’s logo nestled at one end of the
lobby. At the other, a grand staircase led up to a second story balcony
equipped with a McDonalds, bistro, and upscale food court. Plantings,
upholstered seating, and warm lighting made the vast space welcoming and me
feel like I was a guest of honour.
|
In
the Clinic Building, I made myself to the 10th floor to register. Everything
was clean as it should be, yet didn’t have that sterile hospital smell. The
space was light and fresh with indirect, subtle lighting, never blinding. I
was immediately welcomed with a smile and asked to fill out some paperwork at
an arrangement of comfortable seating.
|
After
completing my paperwork, I proceeded to an assigned desk where my information
was entered into the system, my photo was taken with a webcam, and a
wristband was immediately printed for me, which included my photo! It was
here that they also received my pre-approved Aetna letter. Using the Aetna website one month
earlier, I was able to get the whole procedure pre-approved.
|
I
then proceeded to the 16th floor Reception to check in. After
being greeted by another friendly smile, and scanned in, I was directed to a
lobby where I could make myself comfortable while I waited for my
appointment. But since I was so early, I decided to explore a little bit.
|
My
ears immediately perked up when I heard a woman talking in Burmese on her
phone. I encountered a sign written all in Arabic. Another sign was in
Korean. A Pakistani family sat comfortably in one waiting room. A British
woman was having a pleasant conversation with one of the nurses at one of the
reception desks. I realized quickly that no matter what culture or language
you spoke, you would find comfort and attention here.
|
As
I walked the 360-degree course of the 16th floor, I loved peering
down into the center courtyard on the 10th floor. The Zen
simplicity of the decorating made me feel I was in a five star hotel, not a
hospital.
|
Some waiting areas had more people than others.
|
Closer to the time of my appointment, a nurse welcomed me
to one of the exam rooms to check my blood pressure, height and weight.
|
When
I returned to the lobby, I noticed the free refreshments available for patients.
Water, tea, juice… again, five star hotel, or hospital?
|
When
the time came for my procedure, my local friend, Hannah (a British
International Worker) joined me in the operation room at my request.
|
I’m
probably about the wimpiest person when it comes to blood and guts and it
doesn’t take much to knock me out as white as a sheet. So, it was a great
comfort to me that Hannah was able to be in the room with me, sharing with me her Christmas
traditions to distract me from my thoughts. I was only under local
anesthesia, so although I could feel no pain, it helped to have a friend near by. Also, I was allowed to play my favorite tunes… So, since
‘twas the season, my head was cut open to the Carol of the Bells, Winter
Wonderland, and the Hallelujah Chorus. I wasn’t in the room for more than
25-minutes. And Hannah said most of that time was spent on the stitches.
|
After
the procedure I went to the cashier counter and discovered that the $415 that
it should have cost only cost me $60 out of pocket thanks to Aetna Insurance!
I was given some pills to take for pain as the anesthesia wore off and Hannah
and I left with smiles on our faces and celebrated with Christmas drinks at
Starbucks.
|
I
returned a week later to have the stitches removed.
I highly recommend Bumrungrad Hospital to anyone looking for excellent, affordable healthcare in Asia and beyond!
|
Friday, January 15, 2016
Bumrungrad Hospital: My 5 star experience
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment