Saturday, November 24, 2018

Miami Seafarers Ministry
24 November 2018

"Can you help me?" The young man from Central Asia was filling out an application to apply for another job and needed some help understanding some of the questions and checking his English spelling and grammar. Happy to help, I sat with him and his other Central Asian friend as both of them completed and submitted their online applications. "We would like to work in an environment where we see and interact with more authentic American culture." Were they saying that the holiday-goers of cruses isn’t the perfect picture of America's best?

As a result of spending the time with a practical felt need, one of the young man began sharing. Back in Central Asia he had a group of four other friends in whom he would share everything with. Week after week serving on the cruise line, he missed that. He shared with me about his faith journey. Culturally Muslim, he wasn’t devout, nor was he willing to settle on one belief system just yet. He developed a habit of carefully observing those around him for the qualities that he wanted to integrate into his own belief system.

He had come to the Miami Seafarers Ministry before and sensed the peace and genuine nature of those who served there. "You’ve helped me a lot this morning," he said. "I think there is something I can learn from you. Would you share with me about your faith?"

This is what makes the Miami Seafarers Ministry so unique. In the two days that I volunteered there, I interacted with individuals from over 15 different nations, but I'm sure there were many more nations represented whom I didn’t interact with. Some come just to get caught up on their social media or play video games, but others come to get away from the stress and routine of life on the ships. There's openness for them to examine bigger life issues and think deeply about eternal concerns.

Most of the cultures I interacted with have a high value for relational connection. One individual from a large Muslim nation came in and settled into his device, but his eyes kept darting up, hoping for that connection. When I engaged him in conversation, he told me of his journey to follow Jesus and that he longed for other Christians with whom to enjoy fellowship. He joined us for the chapel service and he was not alone as we sang and discovered a simple lesson from God's word together. I observed Dan's gentle interaction with this man as he talked and prayed with him. We may not know the long-term impact of these short-term moments, but I believe they are no less valuable.

A Pilipino gentleman who attended the chapel described a spiritual desert as he served week after week aboard the ships. Missing out on church fellowship and times of worship was causing him to feel discouraged and disconnected. After worshiping God together at the Ministry Center and hearing a short devotional about how God's Word is His message to us, he expressed how it encouraged him in his faith and reminded him that no matter where He goes, God is there with him.

The crewmembers that walk through the doors of the Miami Seafarers Ministry are all on a journey. Some are lost, others are at the verge of beginning a new relationship with Jesus. Some are young in their faith and long for spiritual food to help them grow, while others are mature in their faith, but discouraged to be the only light on a dark ship sailing off into the night.

We may not know how the stories all fit together on this side of heaven, but what is happening at the Miami Seafarers Ministry is a mission to the nations. It is a mission of outreach and discipleship. It is a place where gospel truths are expressed in practical ways. It is a place where the body of Christ has an open invitation to act and interact just like Jesus, making a difference one life at a time.

No comments: