Saturday, November 24, 2018

Thanksgiving Surprise
23 November 2018

Only a few knew of my secret deception. It was all true: I was in Florida for strategic meetings with the global leadership team of the 1for50 network. I was even able to volunteer for two days at the Miami Seafarers Ministry where I was able to share the good news with two young men from Central Asia, enjoy heartfelt conversation with two workers from Myanmar, and offer a message of encouragement and hope to growing brothers in Christ from the Philippines, Indonesia, and Jamaica. None of that was a lie.

What my family didn’t know is that my Thanksgiving plans in Orlando had fallen through a month before and that while chatting with Kimi and Vesh in Nepal, I made the spontaneous decision to book flights to Minneapolis. Jeff and Alicia were my cohorts in the surprise. Jeff came with Nolan to pick me up while Alicia continued to hide the news from the girls.


Mom was in the middle of her Tuesday-night Bible Study when I interrupted. This was the first time that I had been home in Minnesota for Thanksgiving in nine years. Dad was at Grandma's when he figured it out and came home immediately. 

Thanksgiving Day, Anika, Amelia, and Daniela Skyped with me while en route to Mom & Dad's, but wondered why my video was turned off. I had just messaged them from "Florida" after all where the sun was bright and the ocean breeze was warm. The look on their faces was priceless when they saw that I had joined them in the cold north. But home that day was far from cold, even when we went outside to play around on the frozen pond. Laughter, love and family in flesh-and-blood filled our hearts with thankfulness. There was no need for electronic devices or a reliable Internet connection. None of that could capture the smells and flavors of roasted Turkey and Apple Crisp. An iPad screen could not transfer the love only felt through hugs and embraces.

Grandma, Aunt Ginny, Uncle Ken, Cousin Jane, Daniela with the Stones and Mom and Dad around one table festively outfitted with beauty, light, and aromas could not compare with previous holiday feasts. We don’t ever have to wait for Thanksgiving Day to express our thanks, but this day was set apart from the rest. This was the Thanksgiving of all Thanksgivings. To have a family that puts Jesus first in everything. To love so deeply seeing how scars of past hurts have healed in perfect forgiveness. To recognize that our blessings are not from anything we have ever done, but only by the grace of Jesus Christ! You know the feeling when you are too full to eat anymore, but you still stuff yourself with more turkey. That's how my heart feels. I can't fit any more gratitude, but I'm still going back for more.

No comments: